Packing up half my bedroom for the first time was pretty stressful. I did not want to pack too much but was worried that I would forget something that I actually needed. So I did what any overly excited incoming freshman would do and made lists and lists of every imaginable thing I would need in my day-to-day life at college. Yet no matter how prepared I thought I was, my closet lacked a lot of necessities. Every morning I struggled big time to find an outfit for my classes even though I had tons of clothes thrown about my closet. I do not know if it was because I had to wear a uniform in high school and wasn’t used to the daily challenge of putting an outfit together or because I just lacked basic clothes necessities, but I needed to do something about it
So after making countless trips to King Street and breaking my bank account in the process, I have accumulated many clothing staples that every closet should have.
- Loose, thin tees. I bought them in both black and white because they can be paired with almost anything, making for a simple, casual look.
- Graphic tees. It is always nice to have a few in your closet to pair with shorts or jeans. The picture above is one of my favorites that I wear all the time; it is cute yet comfortable.
- Sleeveless and short sleeve crop tops. I love crop tops for going out on the weekends because they look especially great with skirts. You can never go wrong with a basic white, black or pink crop top that you can mix and match with almost any bottom. And if you are looking to stand out, go with a velvet one.
- To keep you warm
- Jean Jacket
- Thin hoodie. I just got a light pink hoodie from Forever21 that I wear over most of my outfits when I get cold in class.
- Cardigans. These are great for those cold, early mornings when you have to walk to class.
Pants and shorts
- Distressed boyfriend jeans
- Mid-wash skinny jeans
- High Waisted jean shorts. The pair I have in the picture above have a little bit of a loose fit to them, making them extremely comfortable to wear anywhere you go. Not only that, but you can wear so many different tops with it, such as crop tops, graphic tees, tanks and t-shirts.
- Black skirts like the one above are great to have because they go with everything.
- Asymmetrical skirts, like the green skirt I have above. Styles like this are cute and give your outfit a more dressed-up look. They are a great option to pair with a tight fitting crop top.
- Denim skirts. Get one that is high-waisted and a mini skirt for when you go out at night because it literally goes with any crop top or bodysuit that you have.
- Skirts that zip or button in the front. These types of skirts give a different look to your outfit, making it really pop.
- Rainbow flip-flops. This was the best investment of my life. I wear my rainbows everywhere I go whether it’s to class or going out at night.
- Black platform heels. At the very least, you need one pair of heels. Black is your best option because it matches most pieces of clothing and can dress up simple outfits.
- Rainboots. You never know when it is going to downpour here, so having a pair of rain boots is always a smart idea.
- Lululemon makes some amazing running shorts. They are perfect for this hot and humid weather. Not only are they great for working out, but they look super cute. For a cheaper option, you can find them at Target.
- Running pants are nice for when it gets a little colder out. You can even pair them with a loose tee for when you are not working out, for a more casual look.
If you are like me, then finding clothes for both your style and budget can be difficult. Some of my favorite stores to shop at that have a variety of cute options are PacSun, Forever21, H&M and Urban Outfitters. While I am still collecting different articles of clothing to make my closet unique to my style, I have the basic necessities to make putting together an outfit much easier.