The latest conflict between North Korea and the United States occurred last week at the U.N. General Assembly in New York City. In President Trump’s address, he vowed that that North Korea “would be totally destroyed” if it threatens the United States or its allies. Trump later tweeted that North Korea “won’t be around much longer” if it continues to execute its threats to the rest of the world.
The North Korean regime did not take these words lightly. CBS reports that Foreign Minister Ri Yong Ho said Trump’s comments were a clear “declaration of war.”. The White House responded by stating, “We’ve not declared war on North Korea, and frankly the suggestion of that is absurd.” Press Secretary Sara Huckabee Sanders later said, “Our goal is still the same: We continue to seek the peaceful denuclearization of the Korean Peninsula.”
This weekend, Secretary of State Rex Tillerson arrived in Beijing and engaged in talks with Chinese leaders to “reaffirm the Administration’s commitment to further broaden and enhance U.S. economic and security interests in the Asia-Pacific region.”
Just heard Foreign Minister of North Korea speak at U.N. If he echoes thoughts of Little Rocket Man, they won't be around much longer!
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) September 24, 2017
Trump and Kim’s verbal dispute have the international community on edge as tensions rise. Both Japan and South Korea are on high alert as South Korean and American intelligence report that future nuclear tests from North Korea are likely.