Twice a year, restaurants downtown participate in a food lover’s dream: Restaurant Week. With events beginning Sept. 7 and running through the 18th, Restaurant Week is devoted to giving all Charlestonians the chance to eat at their frequent favorites or to try a new eatery — all at a fixed price. Here are five places that are worth the hype:
- If you are looking to try a new spot that does not serve traditional southern cuisine, you should check out Basil, located downtown at 460 King Street. This authentic Thai restaurant offers a wide variety of items with unique flavors and a great selection of vegetarian and gluten free options. Their fresh basil rolls and Pad Thai are a must-have when dining here. During restaurant week, they will serve a 3 course meal for a steal at $22.
- Converted from a traditional Charleston townhouse into a top rated restaurant, Poogan’s Porch is a popular destination for food connoisseurs. Located downtown at 72 Queen Street, stop in and enjoy some southern classic dishes that will definitely leave you wanting more. Over restaurant week, they will offer a 3 course lunch menu at $30 and a 3 course dinner special at $35.
- O-Ku is one of the leading restaurants downtown to enjoy a little taste of Japanese culture. Located at 463 King Street, you will be mesmerized by the sophisticated and modern interior while devouring the vast assortment of award winning sushi rolls. At $30 for 3 courses, you can experience their modern take on delicious plates.
- Slightly North of Broad (S.N.O.B.) is located downtown at 192 East Bay Street and serves some of the finest lowcountry cuisine in Charleston. Enjoy the inviting atmosphere along with their famous shrimp and grits that are sure to be some of the best to ever hit your tastebuds. Offering a 3 course dinner for $40 throughout the week, this spot is a necessity as you eat your way through the Holy City.
- Craving a dinner that includes southern classics alongside a French ambiance? Look no further than Eli’s Table located at 129 Meeting Street in the French quarter of downtown Charleston. Their unique menu features a contemporary spin on basic plates such as the duck and waffles. Dine outdoors in their courtyard area and enjoy your 3 course dinner for $40 throughout the week.